Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Returned, and now Leaving

The sort of yearning I feel towards those lonely rocks is indescribably acute...
-JMS, The Aran Islands

Friends, I've been horrible at updating during the trip, mostly because at night when I return from whatever hike I've been on I just want to collapse and go to sleep. I've just returned from an internet-less past four days on Inishmaan where I met the President of Ireland, watched "The Cripple of Inishmaan," sat by the fire in Synge's house, and hiked until I thought my feet might fall off. It was a beautiful weekend, except for the weather, which of course cleared up as soon as I returned to Inishmore.

Tomorrow I am off to Wicklow and the Synge Summer School. I will try to update more fully in the next few days, but I think I will have to save the more juicy entries for when I return home in early July, so stay tuned...

A Fiery Sunset on Bonfire Night, Inis mor, Aran Islands
Midsummer Bonfire, Mainistir, Inishmore, Aran Islands

No comments:

Post a Comment